Play Ball!

Aaron Olague, Writer

It’s that time of the year, baseball tryouts are on January 27th for guys wanting to play ball from grades 9th-12th. It’s going to be stiff competition this year  especially because of the new head baseball coach, Daniel Carrillo.

“I want to change the culture of the program altogether and really get the community involved with the program as well,” said Carrillo.

Carrillo plans on making his first year a good one. He kicks off the season with tough scrimmages with teams such as Midland High and Permian. Carrillo also ends the season with a tough district with troublesome teams such as Abilene Wylie, and Brownwood.

“I want my players to trust the process, they can have one horrible game but that doesn’t mean you give up the next game and the same the other way around, we just need to continue to get better,” said Carrillo.

Some of the baseball prospects trying out say they are nervous. None of them really know what is waiting for them at tryouts. With a new coach comes a clean slate, a fresh start for everyone, which means no favorites and no one is better than anyone.

“Honestly, I feel like I have a lot of responsibilities come tryouts and if I want to make the team then I will have big shoes to fill,” said freshman Jarred Marquez.

Preparing for the season means that Carrillo prepares the team for what’s coming up in the season. Getting the community involved would be huge for the team so that they have a fan base that shows up to all the games and whether it is little kids or elderly people, the team can use all the support they can get.

“I want everyone to come out and watch what we can do,” said Carrillo. “I want Big Spring Baseball to be the must see thing on Tuesdays and Fridays.”

So if you are interested, baseball tryouts will be held January 27th at Steer Field, time is to be determined. Either way, please come support Carrillo and the Steers this season and cheer them on to victories.