BSHS Recycle

Courtesy of BSHS Recycle on Facebook

Courtesy of BSHS Recycle on Facebook

Courtesy of BSHS Recycle on Facebook

Christian Islas, Writer

BSHS Recycle is a newly introduced program by the professional communications class at BSHS. The program’s goal is to spread the word on recycling, while also starting the recycling process within the community.

“In the large scheme of things, we’d like to achieve the ability to recycle within Big Spring in an easy and organized fashion,” BSHS Recycle Coordinator Amber Griffith said. “Our smaller and more immediate goal is to implement a way for a Big Spring High School to recycle at least paper and plastic bottles on campus.”

The program started with Griffith and the students in her professional communications class looking to start recycling. They also encourage other students in the school to join in on the program.

“Anyone is welcome to participate,” Griffith said. “In fact, we implore everyone to join us on social media to compete and vote in contests and to become aware of different activities we have available.”

Recycling materials such as water bottles and paper have already started and their goal amount to recycle is endless.

“Our goal is to recycle as many water bottles as we possibly can,” Griffith said. “Again, the ultimate goal is to establish a way for others to be able to recycle on a regular basis.”

There is no specific place to recycle in the Big Spring area, but the program has found a solution to that problem.

“At this point, people are welcome to bring empty water bottles to Mrs. G’s classroom (246) that will transported to midland where they have recycling bins placed in various and numerous locations in town,” Griffith said.
If all goes to plan, recycling will be in full swing by next school year. Students can also drop off water bottles by Mrs. Griffith’s classroom to contribute, and to keep up with the program, follow @bshsrecyle on Twitter, Instagram and BSHS Recycle on Facebook.