Sprinting to State

Ian Gonzales

Arianna Tijerina, Writer

On May 13, the BSHS track team arrived in Austin to compete at the state meet. From both the boys and the girls teams, Big Spring students made it to the finals in a total of nine events. Overall, the boys placed third, and the girls placed seventh.

Competitors on the girls team include Carlie Roberts, who placed fourth in discus, and Kailey Mathews, who placed ninth in long jump, fourth in the 400 meter dash, and first in the triple jump. Runners for the boys team included Daniel Luna, Rene Villa, Cj Harris, and Leon Mathews who all placed sixth in the 4×100 meter relay , and Jaiden Ludington and Jeremiah Rushin who placed sixth in the 4×200 meter relay along with Luna and Mathews. The team also included Ian Gonzales and Aaron Martinez who placed second in the 4×400 meter relay with Harris and Rushin, with Gonzales also placing fourth in the 400 meter dash and first in the 800 meter run.

When asked what helped motivate him through the meet, senior Ian Gonzales said, “Our teammates themselves, they motivate me. They all work really hard and cheer each other on and want to be cheered on.” Gonzales also went on to break the school record for the 400 during the last lap of the mile relay. “We just had to stay strong hearted, but I knew that no matter what, our team was going to try their best and not give up.”

Next year, BSHS track plans on keeping up with practices and putting in the effort to make it back to state. “We will be losing a lot of seniors, but I am confident in who we have returning and believe that we will be successful,” said Coach Woodard.

The meet didn’t have the outcome the team was hoping for,as they were going for the gold, but advancing to state was still an achievement that the athletes and coaches worked for and they plan on going further in the future.