Wrapping up Mrs. White’s First Year

Britney Tan, Writer

A desk lies hidden among stacks of planners and calendars. The 2016-2017 school year is coming to a close, but principal Erin White continues to work hard till the very end.

“I guess my biggest fear is that I’ve never wanted anyone to accuse me of not working,” Mrs. White said. “I might not be good at a lot of things, but by golly, I work hard.”

According to Mrs. White, the beginning of this school year was an extremely busy one as her time was filled with transitioning jobs, buying a new house, and having a baby, even going as far as skipping maternity leave in order to be here for students during the first week of school.

“I got docked all those days, I didn’t get paid for them, but I came to school everyday because it was that important to me to be here,” Mrs. White said. “So I had that baby on Wednesday, and I was at work on Monday morning. It was fast.”

Since then, there have been changes in policy and staff, all of which Mrs. White said she hopes will bring a better future. She works with a team of administrators that not only clicked with her, but with the school as well. The team, comprised of Mr. Otto, Mr. Tannehill, and Mr. Wommack, split up responsibilities.

“We started getting game plans together and we all kind of think the same and I think that was a really big checkmark,” Mrs. White said. “Mr. Otto took over attendance and he just made that his job. Mr. Wommack and Mr. Tannehill, they divided the students. So we changed how we were going to see kids.”

Mr. Wommack oversaw freshmen and senior discipline while Mr. Tannehill took juniors and sophomores. This, according to Mrs. White, allows for students to build relationships with administrators because they will always visit the same one instead of a new person every time.

“Whether it was for something good or for something bad, those are your kids,” Mrs. White said. “And then I’m there when they need anything.”

Another improvement that Mrs. White commented on about her first year was the growing relationship between counselors and the new team of administrators.

“I feel like that really was good for everybody,” Mrs. White said. “It’s good for teachers, it’s good for kids, and the counselors. They come to us, we go to them, we just have this open communication.”

Mrs. White said she has already started making plans for the upcoming year, and she’s excited to see her contributions come to life.

“All the administrators are on the same team and we share this same beliefs and I think that’s important,” Mrs. White said. “We have a vision for what we want to do for next year.”